Eight salmon workers checked by health centres after ammonia leak
Eight workers were transferred to healthcare centres with symptoms of poisoning after an ammonia leak from a cooling system at a Chilean salmon processing plant on Saturday.
The incident happened at a facility operated by coho farmer Salmones Aysén in the country’s ‘salmon capital’, Puerto Montt, in Los Lagos region.
The chemical emergency, as reported by Soy Chile (I am Chile) website, occurred on Saturday and led to 200 people being evacuated from the plant.
An inspection of the factory will be carried out by the Labour Directorate of Los Lagos Region. “We have started assigning the case to our inspectors so that they can go to the company to gather all the information,” said Los Lagos director of labour Claudio Salas.