Fishmeal ‘myths’ to be questioned in Rome
The “many myths linked to the fishmeal and fish oil industry” will be challenged during a high-level panel discussion at the 58th annual conference of the marine ingredients organisation, IFFO, in Rome.
IFFO’s president Eduardo Goycoolea will lead and moderate the panel of industry leaders to discuss the perception and future development of the industry at the event in October.
Panellists will include:
- Ole Eirik Lerøy, Marine Harvest chairman;
- Árni M Mathiesen, assistant director-general, FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department;
- Dr George Chamberlain, president, Global Aquaculture Alliance, USA;
- Chris Ninnes, CEO, Aquaculture Stewardship Council, UK;
- Jim Cannon, CEO, Sustainable Fisheries Partnership, USA.
Former Blumar executive Goycoolea said: “This panel will give us an opportunity to ask the tough questions that our industry needs to confront to ensure continued prosperity and stability.
“We will discuss and challenge the many myths linked to the fishmeal and fish oil industry, including the common misconception that levels of production have been in decline, which has not been the case for over a decade.”
The event will run from October 15-17.